Thursday, September 17, 2009

Guys and Dolls. Männer und Mädchen?

Some classmates and I decided to get Stehplatz tickets for Guys and Dolls. Stehplatz is a standing room ticket. They're really cheap (around two or three Euro), but you stand through the entire performance, so it can be challenging. Still, for students it's a great deal.

There are two operas in Vienna. The Staatsoper performs everything in the language in which it was originally written. The Volksoper performs everything in German. Guys and Dolls is playing at the Volksoper. I got to see one of my favorite musicals performed in German. Oh yes, I was excited.

As I got ready to go I told my Hausfrau that I was going to the Volksoper. She asked if I knew how to get there. I told her I planned to take either the 1 or the D (Strassenbahn) to the Volkstheater. I'm glad she asked, as I'm not sure why I didn't realize that Volkstheater and Volksoper were different. She was headed down to the Tram stop as well and came with me. She pointed to really any of the trams in the range of 40. I arrived at Volksoper just in time for the performance.

I was probably at an advantage while watching this musical, as I once had both the entire dialogue and all of the songs memorized. The songs were really well translated, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was essentially a complete copy of the film as far as costuming and choreography. I think it would have been more enjoyable if they had taken a bit of a different approach, but I guess there's only so much you can do with it.

Stehplatz wasn't so bad, really. It was a little bit hard on my feet, but still not terrible. I would say that Stehplatz is totally worth what you pay for it. The view was even pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment